A lack of floor space and fear of clutter marring the beautiful décor of your home must not stop you from the pleasure of listening to pure clear audio. In-ceiling and in-wall speakers can hide the speakers but not the music.There are several brands and sizes of in-ceiling and in-wall speakers that are equally good making it difficult to choose the best in-wall speakers.
After rigorous research and using several of the speakers ourselves we have compiled a list of seven of the best in-wall speakers that you can buy without breaking the bank. Here is a short review of each of the products and their pros and cons. Now, no one can stop you from enjoying audio the complete way.
|1st||Micca M-8S||in-wall||6.5,& 8||4.8||810||$49,95||Best Buy|
|2nd||Micca,M-CS Dual||in-wall||5,25||4.8||809||$49,95||Great Quality|
|3rd||82W Silver Ticket||in-wall||6.5,& 8||4.7||315||$39||Amazon’s choice|
|4th||5252W Silver Ticket||in-wall||5,25||4.7||300||$40||Great Dual Speaker|
|5th||Micca M-8C||In-wall,& in-ceiling||6,5||4.8||806||$42||Low Price – Top Quality|
|6th||Polk Audio 265RT||in-wall||x||4.6||67||$164||45% OFF – SAVE,$135|
|7th||Yamaha NS-IW760||in-wall||6,5||4.5||86||Good,Price – Good Quality|
I. Understand In-wall, On-wall & In-ceiling speakers:
The ideal choice for music enthusiasts is free-standing home theatre systems but speaker placement is always an issue. With the invention of in-wall and in-ceiling speakers both in home theaters and multi-room options, you can look forward to clutter-free audio. With advanced technology nowadays, it is really easy to conceal these speakers in the wall and the ceiling and enjoy music in a wireless environment.
1. In-wall speakers VS in-ceiling speakers:
So, how can one decide whether to choose in-wall speakers or in-ceiling speakers? Here are three methods to decide based on the sound quality:
- With the in-wall speakers, the sound is at ear level and more appealing than blazing down from atop your head from the ceiling.
- The cone design of in-wall speakers makes them a better choice for better sound quality
- Another drawback with in-ceiling speakers is that the audio is isolated to a single point, unlike the in-wall speakers which disperse the audio.
2. Understand on-wall speakers
On-wall speakers are different from in-wall speakers in several ways. Firstly, they are less expensive and they offer you more flexibility with placement. But when space is a constraint in-wall speaker are the best choice. Here is a brief review of Polka audio OWM3 an on-wall speaker.
The polka audio is immensely popular in the audio world.Unlike the regular wall speakers which are box-shaped, the Polka is different; it has a curved design. This product has a removable base and six other mounting options to suit the space and location as per your choice. This is a popular choice among those who don’t like hacking their walls and installing speakers. This pair is compatible with 5.1,6.1 and 7.1 surround systems.Though compact in size the pair is a powerhouse worth owning.
3. The benefits of In-wall & in-ceiling speakers & their Cons compared to traditional speakers
Pros and cons of traditional speakers
Traditional speakers are the best for good sound quality and nowadays they can be used to complement your décor as they are available in a variety of shapes and sizes and finishes. Their placement is flexible. Their biggest drawback, on the other hand, is that they occupy valuable floor space where space is a constraint.
Pros and cons of in wall and in ceiling speakers
- You can avoid clutter and mismatched décor.
- They can be painted to match the décor and wall and ceiling color
- They can be placed anywhere
- They cost less than free-standing speakers.
- Installation is expensive and tedious
- Lack the flexibility of traditional speakers in placement
- Mistakes in installation can be costly
- The amount of sound produced is less when compared with free standing speakers
4. Can I build a high-end audio system out of in-wall speakers just like Traditional Speakers?
Though wall speakers are convenient they cannot recreate the effect of high-end audio systems because the sound comes from just one speaker and some of it is lost in the wall. High-end audio systems create the experience of live music but that doesn’t happen here. Wall speakers are best suited for guest rooms, conference room, and offices. The sound quality of these speakers is not the same as traditional speakers.
5. How to choose between Traditional, In-wall and in-ceiling Speakers:
So, when you are faced with the dilemma of how to choose between traditional and in the wall and in ceiling speakers, base your choice on the below factors:
- Choose in-wall speakers when:
- When an aesthetic appeal is more important than sound quality
- When floor space is less
- Choose traditional speakers when:
- When quality matters
- And finally, if you have a large room the floor standing speakers are what you need.
In case you can’t afford them go for the bookshelf type and supplement it with sub-woofer.
6. What Brand make the Best in-wall in-ceiling Speakers
Do not buy speakers made by electronics manufacturers because the technology used in speakers is very different from that used in electronics. The speakers manufactured by these companies are often of poor quality and they are usually put together with little or no innovation just so that the company has a full line of products. Hence, always choose products from the market leaders like JBL, Infinity, RBH, Atlantic Technology, Paradigm, Klipsch, Schnell, and M&K.
Your guide to choosing the best in-wall speaker will be your ear because what sounds good to you cannot be judged by anyone else. The only point to keep in mind is that only when all speakers in a room are from the same manufacturer can the result be perfect. Choose the same model. Mixing brands may not be a good choice.
7. What determines Sound Quality in in-wall & in-ceiling Speakers
- Size (inch): You must decide the size of the speaker based on the size of a room. There is no doubt that large speakers produce cleaner and better sound. In general, a room of dimensions of 15 feet x 20 feet will do with the an8-inch speaker – you can choose any model with woofer size between 2 to 10 inches. Medium size room can do with 6 ½ inch speaker. For surround, the sound4-inch woofer can do the job just fine.
- Tweeter: They are used to reproduce the high-frequency sounds between 2000 to 20,000 HZ. Some specialty models can even produce 100 Hz. The material and the size and shape of the tweeter will determine the quality of sound. Larger dome disperses sound better. Soft dome tweeter that can swivel is best suited for in-wall settings.Also, check for the adjustable tweeter to fine-tune the sound to suit the music being played.
- Back Box: Back boxes improve the overall sound quality. They ensure that the sound travels only in one direction; they are necessary for certain apartments.
- Wire length and thickness: Good quality sound is possible only when the wire is thick and short. Thin long cables will distort the sound and are not suitable for in-wall and in-ceiling speakers.
- Climate: Not all speakers are meant for all conditions; do not use speakers meant for indoor use outside as the moisture and humidity will damage them. Always clarify this aspect of speakers before you buy them.
- Longevity: It is not a simple task to upgrade in-wall and in-ceiling speakers but with rapidly advancing technology there will always be something new in the market. Therefore, before buying do a thorough research and buy the latest model in the market to avoid upgrading it frequently.
- Surround sound receiver: Do not depend on an old receiver or poor quality to produce great sound. Opt for a receiver that is compatible with your speakers and can amplify all sounds effectively.
- The wall: The thickness of the wall where the speaker will be installed will play a role in the quality of final sound. In most cases, the drywall acts as a speaker box. But in case the fit in the wall is not proper and the hole is not well insulated the quality of sound is awful even with a high-end best in-wall speaker. It is therefore advisable to use a speaker box during installation.
II. Seven “top rated” & Dominants Electric Pencil Sharpener
1st Dominants – Micca M-8S
The Micca M-8S is a two-way in-wall speaker. It comes with its own 1” soft dome tweeter and an 8” woofer. The bass is powerful. You can install these speakers just with the help of a screwdriver. The semi-dome tweeter enhances the quality of sound. You do not need a sub-woofer with this set. And the best part is that they can be painted on to match the décor.
- Great sound quality
- Easy to install
- Can be painted to match the décor
- The grill is difficult to remove after installation
- The speakers are a bit heavy
- Bass is a concern.
User reviews: Most users find the speakers to be good value for money and are happy with the quality construction and output sound.
2nd Dominants – Micca M-CS Dual
This in-wall speaker comes with a dual high excursion 5.25” poly woofers and 1” soft dome tweeter to enhance the sound quality and clarity. The cross-network ensures that the user can enjoy a wide variety of audio without losing on the intricacies of each playing section. The listening sweet spot is wide. The speaker blends well with most interiors and if you still desire more than you can paint it.
- Easy to install
- Great sound quality
- Wide sweet spot
- Can be painted to match décor.
- Not for hardcore audiophiles
- Only sold as a single piece.
User reviews: Users claim that these speakers are great value for money as they sound almost at par with the more expensive models. The ease to install is a big incentive to buying these speakers.
3rd Dominants – 82W Silver Ticket
82W Silver ticket is one of the best in-wall speakers at an affordable price. You can choose from different on the wall and in ceiling configurations. This particular model is in-wall speaker measuring 4”. This can be flush mounted. The piece comes with an8-inch driver and 1” dome tweeter. And the best part of this model is that it is moisture resistant.
- Moisture resistant suitable for bathroom and kitchens
- Dome tweeter can be swiveled in the desired direction
- Durable construction
- Clear and crisp sound even at high volumes
- Bass does not distort
- Easy installation.
- No back box included.
User reviews: The clarity and crispness of the audio have users raving about the speakers along with the unbeatable price.
4th Dominants – 5252W Silver Ticket
Another winner from silver ticket the 5252W produces distortion-free sound with its 5.25” conical woofers. This in-wall speaker can be used in bathrooms, kitchens, and saunas as it is moisture resistant. You can fearlessly use it for home and audio theater systems or even your mundane stereo and you will not be disappointed with the clarity of the central channel speaker. It brings alive the vocals and action in a movie. It is suitable for 5.1,6.1 and 7.1 home systems.
- Can be installed horizontally or vertically
- Rubber edge ensures there is no audio distortion
- Easy to install
- Comes with paint masks and cut out the template.
- The treble is thin.
User reviews: Every single user thinks the speakers are worth the cost and the quality of sound and construction are decent. It is an inexpensive option for good quality sound.
5th Dominants – Micca M-8C
It is one of the best in-ceiling speakers on the market. This two-way in-ceiling speaker is characterized by the 8” poly woofer and 1’dome tweeter. A 6DB crossover network ensures that the tweeter and the woofer are always in sync. It can be used with all home entertainment systems seamlessly. It can be painted to blend with the décor.
- No audio distortion
- Well built.
- Volume is never too loud.
User reviews: Almost all the users agree that the speaker is a winner as the sound is clear and the construction is top class.
6th Dominants – Polk Audio 265RT
The Polk Audio 265RT in-wall speaker is a powerful combination of style and substance. Shaped rectangular this single speaker can be placed anywhere of choice and is ideal for those who lack space. Built-in switches allow you to tailor the sound to suit your room and taste.
- Worth the price
- Durable construction
- Top-notch sound quality for all genres and kinds of audio
- Easy to install
- The magnetic covers rattle when placed closed to subwoofers
- Bass not up to the mark for some users.
User reviews: It is unanimously accepted as one of the best in-wall speakers because of the quality construction and clean and crisp sound quality.
7th Dominants – Yamaha NS-IW760
The oblong Yamaha NS -IW 760 is a rarity because of its shape. The 6.5” woofers in combination with the 1” dome tweeter produce a sound that is hard to beat. The speaker can be flush mounted.
- Easy to install
- Value for money
- Good sound quality
- Oblong shape makes stealth installation challenging
- Poor mounting parts
User reviews: Most users state that this Yamaha is a great center channel speaker and worth the money.
II. How to choose between them
It is not easy to choose the best in-wall speakers from a list of equally good speakers. Hopefully, these below guidelines will help. Your investment must be worth the quality.
- Budget: The best in-wall speakers are expensive. Hence choose according to your budget. There are several low-value speakers of good quality that perform decently but many are sold as individual pieces.
- Audio: Compare the size of the speaker with the size of your room and the quality of audio with the price. This will be the best yardstick for a good deal.
- Construction: Check if the build and construction allow easy installation with minimal cutting of walls. Make sure the speaker can be tweaked to suit your décor. Make sure the grilles are paintable to offer more flexibility and improve the aesthetic value.
III. In-wall Speakers & in-ceiling Speakers Accessories
1. Do I NEED special in-wall speaker wire?
Yes, an in-wall speaker wire is a must as it is insulated and prevents fire breakout. These wires typically have an outer jacket that protects them from damage and nicks. Any cable will do but preferably a 4mm2 thickness is best. You can choose anything between 12ga to 16 ga zip chord but don’t go for over 20 feet.
2. Media bridge 14AWG Special Speaker cable
These special speaker cable wires are usually used to connect the speakers to the amplifier or the receiver. They can be paired with any plugs and connectors according to the need. They are insulated and are useful for in-wall installation.
3. Wall Plate for x Speakers
Wall plates are essential to keep the mass of wires involved within-wall speakers installation behind scenes away from harm. They are available in various sizes to suit the number of speakers. Binding wall plates are commonly used for in-wall speaker installations.
4. Deadbolt Banana Plugs
Instead of using bare wire to connect the speaker at the receiver choose deadbolt banana plugs which can be just attached at the end of the speaker wire before being plugged in. This eliminates the risk of exposed wires.
5. In-Wall Cable Management
Messy cables are unsightly. The wall cable management system ensures that all wires are concealed neatly for that clutter-free look.
6. Bluetooth Receiver Wall Mount
You can stream music or audio seamlessly and wireless with Bluetooth connectivity. They are easy to install and fit standard electrical boxes.
7. In Wall Stereo Speaker Volume Control
You can control the volume on your speakers by just turning a knob on this wall mountable control, which is an inconvenient way to manage your speakers.
8. Stereo Receiver
The work like the brain in your nervous system as they control the surround sound in your audio and home theater system. This is a cost-effective way to centralize your audio system.
Hopefully, you have found the guide useful and have narrowed down to the best in-wall speaker you need for your house. Should you have any doubts or queries regarding any products do not hesitate to leave a comment and we will respond immediately. Till such time begin your journey into the world of real audio with the best in-wall speakers.