Sharpening a pencil is an art that not everyone possesses. Gone are the days of using knives and handheld blades to get sharp points on your pencils. These are times of innovation, invention and the best electronic pencil sharpeners are the need of the hour. They are quick, efficient and effortless.
With a plethora of options out in the market, it is not an easy job to find the best electric pencil sharpener. A good electric sharpener will shave away just enough of the wood and sharpen the graphite beneath to perfection to produce great works of precision.
We have loads of experience in all kinds of Pencil sharpeners and here we will provide you with tips on how to choose the best electric model and have also reviewed seven of the best electric pencil sharpeners in the market to help you choose the best in the business.
|1st||X-ACTO ProX Classroom||4.4||4,518||$43||Durable|
|2nd||X-ACTO SchoolPro Classroom||4.4||4,518||$17||Best For School|
|3rd||School Smart Vertical||4.5||2,023||$31||Amazon’s Choice|
|5th||LINKYO Classic for Kids and Home Use||4.3||1798||$16||26% OFF|
|6th||OfficeGoods For Home and Office||4.7||1434||$23||Fast & Quiet|
|7th||Artist Choice Portable Mini Battery Powered||4.6||1460||$14||36% OFF|
I. Understand Electric Pencil Sharpener
1- Background and component:
The first electric sharpeners hit the market in the 1940s. The working of an electric one is similar to the manual sharpener; they both use helical cylindrical cutters which are set at an acute angle to each other. The multiple cutting angles give a clean and precise finish. The only difference is that electrical sharpeners have a motor that runs on a charge from batteries or electricity.
The most common material used for manufacturing these sharpeners are copper, steel, and plastic.
2- Benefits of Having the Best Electric Pencil Sharpener:
- More efficient
- Suitable for large volumes
- Reduces human effort.
3- Best Electric Pencil Sharpener Features:
Electrical pencil sharpeners are automatic and are designed to reduce the time taken to sharpen pencils. There are a few essential features that need attention.
- Multiple Power Option: They can be charged either using electricity from AC power outlets or through USB chargers or batteries. Some offer all three options.
- Voltage: Usually these tools are suitable for 220 V but sometimes based on the country of origin they may need just 120 V too
- Strength of the motor: Sharpeners based on AC power have stronger motors and are better suited for heavy duty work while the battery powered though equally good are not as efficient as they lose efficiency when the battery drains.
- Automatic: Most of the sharpeners are automatic and have the following features:
- Auto stop: Once the desired sharpness is achieved the sharpener will stop automatically. This is hugely beneficial as it extends the life of the pencils by almost 50%. This feature ensures the sharpening process does not require constant minding.
- Auto reset/ shut off: Since these sharpeners are powered by electricity or batteries the risk of them getting overheated and bursting into flames is always there. A good brand will come with an auto reset feature wherein the tool will automatically shutoff to prevent overheating. This is a must-have safety feature.
- High-Quality replacement cutters (blades): To produce clean precise points the blades must be made of steel ideally and must be helical.
- Base: Since these sharpeners are typically large in size they must be placed on some stable surface. To maintain the stability the base must be of rubber or silicon which will keep the product from vibrating during use.
- Placement of the hole: It is usually convenient when the hole is placed on the top than on the side which requires an extra push and runs the risk of shaving off the extra length of the pencil.
- Shape and size of the hole: Since pencils are shaped differently a good sharpener must be able to accommodate all the different shapes and sizes of pencils. The standard pencil is 8mm in diameter.
- Aesthetic appeal: There are four features here that need attention:
- The angle of sharpening: It determines how long or short the lead is after sharpening.
- Gentleness: The need to be gentle not to damage expensive pencils by shaving off too much wood.
- Cleanliness: To not leave any residue on the wood which will transfer to the paper on contact.
- Pencil points: The ability to produce blunt, medium and sharp points by making some minor adjustment in the settings.
- Noisy or silent: Electrical sharpeners are noisy; the degree of noise will vary based on the strength of the motor.
- Speed: How fast can you sharpen a pencil.
- Size of the receptacle: Since these sharpeners are usually meant for large volumes the size of the receptacle must be big enough to reduce frequent emptying of the container. It is best if it is see-through as you will have an idea when it is full and needs to be cleaned.
- Mobility: Portability plays a major role in decision making.
- Warranty: Warranty always ensures that the product is of good quality.
4- What features should a Good Electric Pencil Sharpener contain, to get that long, clean, nice pointy tips on my pencils:
- Auto stop
- A strong and efficient motor
- High-grade helical steel cutters
- Accommodate pencils of varying sizes.
5- Best electric pencil sharpener for teachers, school, classroom, business?
A heavy duty electrical pencil sharpener will be ideal for teachers, classrooms and businesses as the volume of work will be high. Look for a model with a:
- Powerful motor
- Quick and easy to use
- Suitable for wide a variety of pencils
- Large trash receptacle
- Sturdy built
- Strong high-quality blades
- And at least 2 years manufacturer’s warranty.
6- Best electric pencil sharpener for artists
Artists use expensive color pencils that need to be treated with care. The best sharpener for artists will have the following features:
- Suitable for color pencils and softcore graphite
- Is gentle and clean
- Is able to provide variation in pencil points
- Has auto stop to prevent the sharpener from eating away expensive pencils
- Is portable and can be charged using a USB or batteries – this gives you the flexibility to charge anywhere.
- High-quality replacement parts provided.
7- Should I only sharpen a pencil with an Exacto knife?
While you do have great control with a knife on the type of pencil point you want and you can be economical while shaving the wood, you run the risk of injury with a sharp knife. It is preferable to invest in a good quality electrical sharpener instead.
8- Electric or manual. Who makes a good pencil sharpener?
It depends on what you expect from your sharpener. Manual sharpeners are cheaper, convenient, not dependent on any power source and give you a better control. On the other hand, electric sharpeners are faster and save time. They are best suited for bulk sharpening. In either case, do make an effort to check the tip occasionally because improper insertion and poor quality pencils are not sharpened evenly.
9. What is the Best electric pencil sharpener for colored pencils?
Colored pencils are softer than regular graphite or lead pencils as they are made of the wax core with color additives. They need sharpeners that are gentle and clean. It is tricky to sharpen color pencils because if the sharpener is heated up the wax melts and even clogs the sharpener. You need more control with these pencils. The performance of the sharpener depends on the quality of the pencil also and not just the sharpener.
II. Seven “top rated” & Dominants Electric Pencil Sharpener
1st Dominants – X-ACTOProX Classroom
The ProX is a heavy duty high volume commercial grade pencil sharpener that runs on electricity. It uses the hardened helical cutter to produce precise pencil points. It has a powerful motor that makes it quick and efficient. It also has attractive and useful features like smart stop, auto reset and safe start which ensure there is minimal wastage of pencil and no injury from sharp blades in motion.
- Solid sturdy piece with anti-skid feet to remain stationary
- Does not break tips
- Eats a lot of pencils
- The surface of the shaved wood is not smooth
- It is heavy
- The electrical cord is short
Users feel the model is a well designed and is ideal for heavy-duty work areas.
2nd Dominants – X-ACTOSchoolPro Classroom
A must-have in every classroom is this heavy duty electrical pencil sharpener from X-Acto. Equipped with the immensely powerful helical cutters and a strong motor that works quietly so as to not disturb the classroom, this model has safety features like auto stop and safety start to ensure children never contact the super sharp blades in motion.
- Suitable for multiple sizes of pencils
- Auto stop
- Led light lights up when the desired sharpness achieved
- The shaving receptacle is large.
- Large and not really portable
- LED light is not long lasting
- Doesn’t sharpen evenly.
Users are happy with the quality and the versatility of the product; they especially like the safety features which ensure young children never get hurt even accidentally.
3rd Dominants –School Smart Vertical
Designed for use in the school environment the School Smart sharpener has a large shavings receptacle which is easy to remove and empty. It has helical steel blades for sharp points. It is solid and well built to withstand rough usage of kids. Its anti-skid rubber feet ensure that it stays put in place. It can be powered only via AC power.
- Rugged built
- Produces sharp points
- Value for money.
Teachers love this heavy duty sharpener for its durability and ability to withstand wear and tear.
4st Dominants – OfficePro Ultra-Portable
One of the best in the list, this battery-powered portable pencil sharpener truly earns its place in every artist’s tote. The helical cutter blades are made of high-quality stainless steel and this ensures that the pencil points are always perfect. The product has an ergonomic body and comes with safety features like auto stop. The best part is that the company promises a lifetime replacement should there be any problems with their product.
- Ergonomic and compact
- Fast and efficient
- Never jams
- Easy to clean
- Auto stop.
Users like the ergonomic shape, the efficiency, and portability of the product.
5th Dominants – LINKYO Classic for Kids and Home Use
A promising product that can be better. There are several interesting features in this sharpener like it has a helical steel cutter that ensures sharp points every time; next, it has a large shavings reservoir. This electrically charged sharpener has a smart sharpening sensor that ensures that your pencil is not eaten up each time you sharpen. The best feature is the auto jam release that ensures that with a gentle push you can release the pencil.
- Sharp helical cutters for sharp and even points
- Auto jam release
- Large transparent shavings receptacle
- Sharp point sensor
- Silicon base that is anti-slip
- Not durable
- Difficult to plug in if removed too often
- Short power cord
- Inconvenient for small children to use.
Most of the users agree that the product is great initially before having issues with plugging in and pencils getting jammed despite the auto jam release.
6th Dominants –Office Goods For Home and Office
An aesthetic looking versatile electric pencil sharpener that can also be charged with a USB or run on batteries. It provides three options for blunt, medium and sharp settings for pencil points. It has a pencil hole on the top and a shaving receptacle that ensures it is safe even for kids to use. It is suitable for color, graphite and lead pencils of standard 8 mm size.
- Three power options which render it portable
- Choice of point selection between blunt, medium and sharp
- Top pencil hole for even and precise sharpening
- Powerful motor
- A safety tab that ensures the product is not misused by children
- Great customer service.
- If pressure exerted point selection can be overridden
- Difficult to open the cover of the shaving compartment
Users love the versatility, safety features and three power options for charging the sharpener and have a special commendation for the customer service.
7th Dominants – Artist Choice Portable Mini Battery Powered
A good quality battery powered pencil sharpener that uses high end helical stainless steel cutters for clean and precise points. The product is small, compact and easy to use. It has a shaving receptacle that is translucent. The pencil hole is conveniently placed on the top.
- Compact and lightweight
- Pencil hole on top
- Fast and precise.
- Not very aesthetic looking
- Doesn’t work even if one battery is out of charge
- Stalls when extra pressure is put on the pencil
- Very noisy.
Users like the portability and the absence of tangly electrical cords but are a tad unhappy with the noise and the looks.
III. How to choose between The 7 Dominants
Since all the products reviewed above are top class choosing between them might be a tough task but we will make it easy for you. Just base your selection on the following parameters:
- Motor and blades: Choose a motor that is quiet but powerful. Ideally, steel blades are preferred for their durability and efficiency.
- Power source: What kind of power source does it have and is it portable. If dependent on AC power than it is fixed in one place.
- Safety features: Features like auto shutoff and safe start are added advantage.
- Budget: Choose a model according to your budget.
IV. Maintenance Tips
Regular maintenance will ensure that your sharpener remains a loyal friend for a long time.
- Always use a brush to clean buildup near the pencil hole and on the blades.
- Once in a way open the sharpener and clean the blades with gentle soap solution. Dry them thoroughly before replacing.
- Run a graphite pencil after using the sharpener for color pencils to clear the wax built up on the blades.
- Ensure that the batteries are regularly replaced and there is no acid leakage.
V. Electric Sharpener Accessories
Here are some electrical accessories that will be useful in using your sharpener more effectively and efficiently. These are not must have but are definitely valuable in the long run.
1. 220 V to 110 V converter:
Ideal for converting the AC current and adapter from the power outlet to suit your device.
2. AA 4Pack rechargeable batteries:
It is expensive to replace batteries on a regular basis and moreover, regular batteries do not maintain even charge towards the end. Rechargeable batteries though expensive initially will last you a very long time and are really economical. They maintain the charge also better.
3. AA battery charger:
A suitable charger will ensure that your rechargeable batteries are well charged and ready all the time. Choose a charger suitable for the rechargeable batteries since there are different kinds of batteries available.
4. Mesh wastebasket:
A must in any environment to collect all the sharpening (wood) trash and keep the surroundings clean.
A Best electric pencil sharpener will turn out to be your best friend if maintained well and used with care. As is evident from our list the best brands in this field are X-Acto and School Pro; they are both well designed and durable.
In case, you use any brand that we have missed and you think definitely deserves a place in the best electrical pencil sharpeners do not hesitate to reply in the comment section and we will surely review it.